Subclass 407

Training Visa

Training Visa Subclass 407

The Training visa Subclass 407 is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.

There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:

  1. Professional development.​ 

  2. Overseas qualification 

  3. Government support


Note: Workplace-based occupational training (not including professional development) must be for at least 30 hours a week, of which no more than 30 per cent can be classroom-based.



You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • Are sponsored (by an approved sponsor of a relevant class) to participate in workplace-based occupational training activities or classroom-based professional development activities

  • Are identified in an approved nomination by an Australian organisation (other than a Commonwealth agency)

  • Are invited (if the sponsor is a Commonwealth agency)

  • Meet the requirements of the visa

  • Have functional English language skills, to do the training and meet occupational health and safety standards

  • Have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia

  • Have adequate financial support for yourself and accompanying family members while in Australia

  • Have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia

  • Meet health and character requirements

  • Are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances).

Financial Support:

You might be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia.



You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

Health insurance:

You are responsible for all your health costs in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare) while you hold this visa unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. You must have adequate health insurance unless you are covered by Medicare. This applies to you and any dependent family members listed in the application. If you are not entitled to Medicare benefits, you can ask for an exemption from Australia's Medicare levy in your end-of-year tax return.



You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This also applies to all members of your family unit in your application who are 16 years of age or older.


Debts to the Australian government:

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted. This also applies to all dependent family members in your application who are 18 years of age or older.


Payment of salary or wages:

You must be paid a salary or wages in accordance with Australian laws and practices. If this is a volunteer position, you and your sponsor should complete the Acknowledgement of unpaid placement forms. Your sponsor should lodge them with the nomination.

What this visa lets you do:

If you are outside Australia at time of grant:

This visa allows you to:

  • Travel to and enter Australia after your visa is granted

  • Remain in Australia during the stay period granted (up to a maximum of 2 years), which begins on the day you first enter Australia, to do the training specified in your visa application

  • Travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

If you are in Australia at the time of grant:

This visa allows you to:

  • Remain in Australia during the stay period granted, which begins on the date your visa is granted, to do the training specified in your visa application (up to a maximum of 2 years from the date of grant of your visa.)

  • Travel to and from Australia during the stay period granted.

Please Note: Part-time, classroom-based study that is unrelated to your occupational training may be permitted, provided it does not interfere with your occupational training program. The unrelated classroom study cannot count towards any component of the training program and should be listed in your visa application.

Your Family:

You may be able to include family members in your visa application, however your family members are only allowed to work up to 40 hours a fortnight.

There are other requirements for Sponsors or approved sponsors that want to nominate a person for this visa, for further assistance please Contact us.


5b-619 Logan Road, Greenslopes, Qld - 4120

Greenslopes Office | +61 (07) 3397 5508


  • Google Places Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon

​​​​© 2018 by Honest Immigrations & Sports Tours

Please click here to review our privacy policy