top of page

Subclass 309 & 100

Partner (Provisional) Visa & Partner (Migrant) Visa

Partner (Provisional) Visa Subclass 309 & Partner (Migrant) Visa Subclass 100

To apply for and when a decision is made on the Temporary Partner Visa Subclass 309 you must be outside Australia.

The permanent Partner (Migrant) Visa Subclass 100 is a two stage process: To be eligible you need to be granted a Temporary Partner (Provisional) Visa Subclass 309. If you are granted the temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), you are eligible to be assessed for the Permanent Partner Migrant Visa Subclass 100 about two years after you lodged your application. You will need to provide further documents for this assessment.

If you have been in a long term relationship before you lodge your application, the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) may be granted immediately after the temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309).



If you are married, usually you must be 18 or older when you apply. This is because usually, you must be 18 or older for your marriage to be valid under Australian law.

If you are a de facto partner, you must be 18 or older when you apply.


Your relationship:

  • You must be the spouse (married) , or a de facto partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

  • You might still be eligible if your relationship breaks down after you lodge your application.


You must have a sponsor, who will be your partner, except if your partner is under 18 years of age.


You must meet our health requirement.


You must meet our character requirement.

Debts to the Australian government:

You must have repaid, or have arranged to repay, any outstanding debts to the Australian government.

Eligibility criteria for the permanent Partner visa (subclass 100)

You must:

  • Hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 309)

  • Continue to be the spouse or de facto partner relationship unless your relationship has ended and there are special circumstances

  • Have complied with all Australian laws whilst on your temporary visa.


The visa:

​What you can do, The temporary Partner visa (subclass 309) lets you come to Australia to live until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).

You will generally need a sponsor for you to be able to lodge an application.

Please Contact us to see how easy we can make the whole process for you, experience the Honest Difference.

bottom of page